Friday 4 November 2011

A glass and a half full

The Harbour House is a well known seafood restaurant in Kalk Bay, I have never been there before but they have some amazing reviews. Last night I was lucky enough to be invited by the lovely Jhordan's Sister to attend the launch of their new branch at the V&A Waterfront. The restaurant is perfectly situated and boasts some spectacular views. The decor is elegant, pure white with subtle hints of green, which is fitting as the interior looks like a getaway house by the sea.






On arrival we were greeted with some lovely bubble, J.C. Le Roux and my personal favourite Graham Beck. The perfect way to kick off any event. Next came the unending flow of canapes and wine. From sushi to beef kebabs and lets not forget the truffles (over indulged on that one) the choices were limitless. I accompanied my canapes with some fantastic white wines, Chardonnay and Sauvignon Blanc, my favourite wine for the evening was definitely the Splattered Toad Sauvignon Blanc, then again I did have the wine at the end of the night so my tasting was a bit impaired. Their food is absolutely amazing, I have never in my life tasted anything like it, and I have a great passion for seafood, prawns is after all my favourite type of food. The combination of flavours and the quality of thier food is mere perfection and I would gladly eat there time and time again!

Some lovely oysters, I stayed away from these.


Red wine and bubbly selection..


Tuna canape and red wine selection..


Best sushi ever...


Prawn cocktail and dessert tray...


Shante and I after a couple of glasses of wine, as well as truffles, truffles!

 
Graham Beck and Pongracz bubbly...


I was lucky enough to get a snap shot of their menu design and business card. Their menu is simple, but then again so is their decor, so it is very fitting. At least the sheets of paper are inserted into a lovely blue leather backing. I suppose it is way easier to update and print the menu this way.


The design of their business card is a bit disappointing, it feels extremely unbalanced, and their is major inconsistency in the size of font. The blue and white colour choice is lovely, and the contrasting orange of the fish makes the card pop. I definitely would have made the card double sided, enlarged the logo on the front, and put the contact details on the back,  it would free up some white space and really convey the simplicity of their decor. The font choice is great though! 



Their website is terrible and it really needs to be redone, a simple white background with large images of the food and interior (without wide image transitions) will work lovely. Their logo on their website also does not match the logo on their business card. The Harbour House website should only be branded specifically for Harbour House and no other logos should be present on their website otherwise people will get confused and brand awareness will fail miserably and we all know how important brand awareness is! I think the restaurant relies on word of mouth advertising and people will indeed talk about how stunning their decor and food is, but the branding should imply it too. Take a look for yourself. http://www.harbourhouse.co.za/harbourhouse

I will definitely be going back their, and if you are a seafood lover like I am I would recommend it immensely as it is by far the best seafood restaurant in town!

No comments:

Post a Comment